Preparation time: 40 minutes
Cooking time: approximately 1 hour 40 minutes
Oven temperature: 180C (350F, Gas mark 4)
1. Heat the oil in a pot or saucepan and fry the chopped bacon over a medium heat. Remove from the pan. Add the onions and garlic and fry until golden. Add the mushrooms and cook for a minute. Return the bacon and increase the heat.
2. Add the wine and dried herbs (if you are using fresh herbs, only add them once the sauce is cooked.) Bring to a boil and simmer for about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook over high heat until the sauce thickens. Keep stirring to prevent it from burning. Remove from the heat and set aside.
3. For the pap: Pour 1750ml (8 cups) of water into another pot and stir in the corn meal and 15 ml (1 Tbsp) salt. Cook over a low heat for 8-10 minutes, then add the sweet corn and remove from the heat.
4. Oil an ovenproof dish. Spoon a 3 cm (just over an inch) layer of pap onto the base and cover with a layer of sauce. Continue in this way ending with a layer of sauce. Cover with cheese and top with twists of streaky bacon in a criss-cross pattern.
5. Bake in a preheated oven for between 40 minutes and an hour.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (1000g)|
|Recipe Makes: 6|
|Calories from Fat: 1568 (72%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 174.3g||232 %|
|Saturated Fat 39.6g||198 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 106.1g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 19.9g|
|Cholesterol 107mg||33 %|
|Sodium 1031.9mg||36 %|
|Potassium 1408.8mg||37 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 116.4g||34 %|
|Dietary Fiber 16.9g||68 %|
|Sugars, other 99.5g|
|Protein 39.1g||56 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 2168
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.