1. Press the meat down on a chopping board using the palm of your hand and slice horizontally into very thin, long strips, then cut the strips crossways into stamp-size pieces. Set aside.
2. Peel the gobo using a potato peeler, then cut diagonally into 1/2" slices. Quickly plunge the slices into a bowl of cold water to stop them discolouring. If you are using parsnip, peel, cut it in half lengthwise then cut it into 1/2" thick half-moon-shaped slices.
3. Peel and slice the daikon into 2/3" in thick discs. Cut the discs into 3/4" cubes. Remove the shitake stalks and cut the caps into quarters.
4. Place the konnyaku in a pan of boiling water and cook for 1 minute. Drain and cool. Cut into quarters lengthwise, then crossways into 1/8" thick pieces.
5. Heat a little sesame oil in a heavy cast-iron or enameled pan until purple smoke rises. Stir-fry the pork, then add the tofu, if using, the konnyaku and all the vegetables except for the spring onions. when the colour of the meet has changed, add the stock.
6. Bring to the boil over a medium heat, and skim off the foam until the soup looks fairly clear. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
7. Put the miso in a small bowl, and mix with 4 tablespoons of hot stock to make a smooth paste. Stir one-third of the miso into the soup. Taste and add more miso if required.
8. Add the spring onion and remove from the heat. Serve very hot in individual soup bowls an sprinkle with sesame seeds.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (89g)|
|Recipe Makes: 4 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 290 (87%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 32.2g||43 %|
|Saturated Fat 11.5g||57 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 15.1g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 4.1g|
|Cholesterol 33.7mg||10 %|
|Sodium 842mg||29 %|
|Potassium 145.1mg||4 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 5.7g||2 %|
|Dietary Fiber 1.4g||6 %|
|Sugars, other 4.2g|
|Protein 5.1g||7 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 332
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!