Prepare the cheese:
* Shred all the cheese, keeping the cheddar and American separate.
Prepare the macaroni:
* Boil the macaroni in water, with the Bouillon, 1/2 the time recommended.
* Stir occasionally with a spoon.
* Rinse with cold water and drain it.
Start the sauce:
* Get a heavy stock pot. It should be a big one if you are making the full recipe.
* Make a light roux with butter and flour. Or use clarified butter (ghee) or bacon fat if you want to.
* A normal roux has the same amount of butter and flour. So use less flour than you would in a thick roux.
* Use a stick of butter and a bit more than a T of flour.
Meanwhile, melt a cup of butter.
Next, make it into a basic cream sauce by adding to the roux:
* 1 cup melted butter
* 2-3 cups of whole milk
* Pint of cream
Warm and stir until it starts to thicken a bit.
Then make it into a cheese sauce by adding:
* 3/4's (0.75 lb) of the cheddar cheese
* 8 oz cream cheese
* All (1 lb) of the American cheese
* 16 oz of sour cream
* Paprika, Nutmeg, Salt, as you like
Cook, stir until thickened and its tastes cooked.
Assemble casseroles and finish cooking in the oven:
* Mix the pasta with the rest of grated cheddar, kind of coating it. Leave aside enough to sprinkle on top.
* Put the pasta into the casserole pans.
* Add the cheese sauce to them, stirring so it is distributed evenly.
* If it is too soupy, add more cheese.
* Sprinkle extra cheese on top and, if you like, also sprinkle Panko bread crumbs on top.
* Bake at 400 degrees F. for about 20-30 minutes, until crispy on top.
Let it cool off a bit before serving.
If you over-cook it, you'll get a nice cheesy crust, which a lot of folks like. But that will make it a bit harder to deal with as leftovers since it will get very "solid".
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (154g)|
|Recipe Makes: 24 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 86 (36%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 9.6g||13 %|
|Saturated Fat 5.6g||28 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 2.6g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.5g|
|Cholesterol 31.4mg||10 %|
|Sodium 42.7mg||1 %|
|Potassium 89.2mg||2 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 32.7g||10 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0.7g||3 %|
|Sugars, other 32g|
|Protein 4.6g||7 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 237
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!