This is similar to the candy that was at the bottom of the chip baskets at Monterey House restaurants in Tulsa when Joel was a child. He remembers there would be 1 square of it wrapped in waxed paper at the bottom of the first basket of chips they would bring to the table. You couldn’t buy it, and they wouldn’t bring any more to your table after that first one. Since there was 6 people in his family, the person whose Birthday was closest was usually the person who got the candy.
1. Line an 8 x 8 square pan with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Over low heat in a heavy bottomed pan, melt the butter.
3. Add brown sugar and evaporated milk, stirring continuously until mixture boils and reaches the soft ball stage (240 degrees on candy thermometer). Remove from heat.
4. Add vanilla and powdered sugar and mix with an electric mixer on low for 3-5 minutes (mixture will start looking dull). Stir in Nuts if desired.
5. Pour fudge mixture into square pan and let cool. Once cooled can be cut into shapes with cookie cutters if desired. Keep in sealed container as it tends to dry out if left uncovered.
Notes: 5 ounce can of evaporated milk is equivalent to 2/3 cup
16 ounce box of powdered sugar is equivalent to 2 ¼ cups
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Recipe (195g)|
|Recipe Makes: 1 Serving|
|Calories from Fat: 986 (82%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 109.6g||146 %|
|Saturated Fat 10.3g||51 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 15g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 79.3g|
|Cholesterol 0mg||0 %|
|Sodium 4mg||0 %|
|Potassium 747.5mg||20 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 46g||14 %|
|Dietary Fiber 11.3g||45 %|
|Sugars, other 34.7g|
|Protein 25.6g||37 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 1198
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!