This is a Moroccan style Soup/Stew intended to ladle over prepared Cous Cous (tiny grain like pasta made from semolina). You may prepare the cous cous however the company suggests, but a Moroccan would steam it over the bubbling stew as it cooked for several hours and deftly fluff it with water from time to time until it was cooked. I just cook it on the stove top and fluff before serving.
1. Heat a kettle full of water to boil.
2. Season the chicken and brown in a deep skillet with the olive oil. Cook it in batches and as the meat is ready place in a large soup pot.
3. Pour off the fat in skillet- reserving a tablespoon oil/chicken fat and return to heat. Sauté the onion, garlic, tomatoes, and all your spices until onions are soft. 5 Minutes.
4. Add the remaining ingredients (reserving only the squash- to be added within the last half hour of cooking) to the soup pot and pour the boiling water over to cover. Simmer for approximately 2 hours or until chicken is falling from the bone.
5. Adjust the seasonings to your liking.
6. Add the Summer Squash within the last half hour.
7. Prepare Cous Cous, fluff with a small amount of olive oil.
8. When dishing out servings, avoid giving folks the 4 pieces of lemon and the cilantro bundle. One lucky soul gets the jalapeño!
Serve in large shallow bowls. Spoon out your cous cous and make a "well" in the middle. Spoon out a piece of chicken and some veggies in your "well" and ladle the broth over the top. The Moroccans like to make a pile of cous cous in a large serving bowl and pile the entire stew in the middle "well" and gather round to eat it communally.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (403g)|
|Recipe Makes: 6 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 292 (59%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 32.4g||43 %|
|Saturated Fat 9.1g||45 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 14.1g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 7.1g|
|Cholesterol 168.9mg||52 %|
|Sodium 381.1mg||13 %|
|Potassium 954.4mg||25 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 13.8g||4 %|
|Dietary Fiber 5.4g||21 %|
|Sugars, other 8.5g|
|Protein 37.7g||54 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 492
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!
What would you serve with this? Link in another recipe.