Butter chicken seeems to fall into a couple of different categories, one involves the preparation of the ingredients without any marinade involved, the other version is more in keeping with the chicken tikka massala type of recipes.
This version is adapted from a traditional style to make it fast and easy, with ingredients available from any supermarket. (Adapted from EJones #efnet)
1. In a large bowl, place the Garlic, Garam Masala, Coriander, Ginger, Chilli Powder, Cumin Seeds, Salt, Cardamom Pods and Peppercorns and blend together. Add yoghurt and tomato puree and stir to combine. Add the chicken pieces to this mixture and stir to coat well. Leave to marinade - if possible overnight in the fridge, otherwise for 30-60 minutes minimum.
2. Heat butter & oil in Kukri (or a frying pan / wok)
3. Add onions and fry till golden. Remove from pan.
4. Add chicken. Continue moving until all cooked. Return the onion to the pan.
5. Add the water and bay leaves and leave to simmer for 45 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes
6. Turn the heat off, stir through the cream and leave for 5 minutes.
7. Serve with rice and garnish with chopped fresh coriander and chopped green chillies.
Note: Indian Yoghurt is better if you can get it, but normal plain yoghurt will work. Do NOT try and use. Chicken can be cut into bite-sized pieces before marinading if desired.
If you want to make more gravy to serve with the dish, simply add a tin of puree tomato at step 5.
Pay close attention while frying the onion and chicken as if it burns it will spoil the recipe. The simmer time you can almost ignore the dish, however stirring it will help ensure nothing burns.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (428g)|
|Recipe Makes: 6 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 257 (43%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 28.6g||38 %|
|Saturated Fat 13.4g||67 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 8.3g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 3.5g|
|Cholesterol 259.2mg||80 %|
|Sodium 393mg||14 %|
|Potassium 1085.3mg||29 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 14.6g||4 %|
|Dietary Fiber 3.5g||14 %|
|Sugars, other 11g|
|Protein 68.3g||98 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 593
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.