1) Brown the shanks in a heavy (cast iron) pan. Set crock pot on high.
2) Cut the onions into slices 1/2" thick. Lay half of them at the bottom of the pot.
3) Don latex gloves. While holding each shank over the pot, wet thoroughly with vermouth, then press liberal amounts of herbes de provence into all meat surfaces.
4) Place shanks atop onion slices, then remaining slices on top of the meat. Add remaining vermouth. Cover and cook for 3 hours.
5) Cut up the carrots into whatever lengths you prefer. Leave potatoes whole and skin on.
6) At the end of three hours, add potatoes and carrots and cook for an additional 2 hours.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (308g)|
|Recipe Makes: 4|
|Calories from Fat: 3 (2%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 0.4g||0 %|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.1g|
|Cholesterol 0mg||0 %|
|Sodium 41mg||1 %|
|Potassium 804.1mg||21 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 33.2g||10 %|
|Dietary Fiber 4.2g||17 %|
|Sugars, other 29g|
|Protein 3.7g||5 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 144
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.