1) Cut a garlic clove in half and rub the bottom of the salad bowl with it.
2) Fill the bowl with torn romaine lettuce.
3) Coddle* (boil for 45 secs to 1 min) one egg. Separate and discard the whites.
4) Whisk the coddled yolk in a small metal bowl with all other ingredients except the Parmesan.
5) Pour the dressing over the lettuce and toss with as much shredded Parmesan as you like. Add croutons, freshly ground pepper, and a few anchovies.
* If you fear salmonella poisoning, use a pasteurized egg.
This is the dressing recipe used by Charlie's Cafe Exceptionale (1940s-1970s) in Minneapolis.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (182g)|
|Recipe Makes: 4 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 54 (56%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 6g||8 %|
|Saturated Fat 2g||10 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 2.9g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.8g|
|Cholesterol 58.3mg||18 %|
|Sodium 158.6mg||5 %|
|Potassium 439.4mg||12 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 6.7g||2 %|
|Dietary Fiber 3.3g||13 %|
|Sugars, other 3.4g|
|Protein 5.2g||7 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 96
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.