Made from fresh key lime juice.
1) Separate 3 eggs. Brush crust with the whites.
2) Place egg yolks in deep container of the kind used with hand-held electric wisks.
3) Grate ALL of the rind/zest from two Persian limes into yolks. (Yes, it makes it tart, but that's the way I like it. And see note #12.)
4) Place crust in preheated (350) oven for 5 mins.
5) Beat yolk/zest for 5 mins with electric wisk.
6) Add sweetened condensed milk. Beat 3 additional mins.
7) Add juice and beat until blended (about 20 secs).
8) Pour mixture into crust.
9) Bake in 350-deg over for 10 mins to set.
10) Allow to cool on stove, then refrigerate.
11) Place pie in freezer an hour before serving.
12) Because this pie is so wonderfully tart, it's even more palatable if adorned with a blob of whipped cream and a small scoop of KLP ice cream, if you can find it.
NOTE: The secrets to this pie are three: 1) fresh juice, 2) lots of zest, and 3) freezing before serving.
If you follow the recipe verbatim, you can't miss. Most shy away from the amount in the rind/zest instruction and usually forget to put the pie in the freezer an hour before serving. The latter imparts an appealing firmness, as opposed to the pudding like consistency that you will otherwise have.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (163g)|
|Recipe Makes: 8 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 120 (26%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 13.3g||18 %|
|Saturated Fat 7.9g||40 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 4g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.7g|
|Cholesterol 124.1mg||38 %|
|Sodium 173.3mg||6 %|
|Potassium 530mg||14 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 74.9g||22 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0.1g||0 %|
|Sugars, other 74.8g|
|Protein 11.7g||17 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 455
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
What would you serve with this? Link in another recipe.