1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease two 8- or 9-inch layer cake pans or one 9 x 13-inch pan with a little butter. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl and set aside.
2. Use an electric mixer to beat the 1/2 cup oil with 3/4 cup of sugar until creamy, then add the egg yolks and beat until thick and fluffy, scraping down the sides of the mixing bowl as necessary (this will take 5 to 7 minutes).
3. Mix in the dry ingredients until smooth. Add the orange juice and zest and stir until blended. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until they foam, then sprinkle in the remaining 1/4 cup sugar while beating to soft peaks. Stir them thoroughly but gently as possible into the batter (the base batter is very thick).
4. Turn into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Let the cake cool in the pan for 15 minutes before removing it from the pan if you are using the layer cake pans; leave the cake in the 9 x 13-inch pan.
5. Frost or glaze if you like. Store at room temperature, covered with wax paper, for up to a day or two; use plastic wrap and it will keep for an extra day or two.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (69g)|
|Recipe Makes: 12 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 55 (39%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 6.1g||8 %|
|Saturated Fat 1.1g||6 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 3.7g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.7g|
|Cholesterol 62.4mg||19 %|
|Sodium 4682.8mg||161 %|
|Potassium 72.6mg||2 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 17.2g||5 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0.6g||2 %|
|Sugars, other 16.6g|
|Protein 4.4g||6 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 142
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!