1) Combine the heavy cream, maple syrup, cinnamon, salt, and cayenne powder in a 1 quart sauce pan over low heat. Stir in the rum, orange and vanilla. Add the entire peel of 1 Fukushu orange kumquat, and a teaspoon of the juice. (This is entirely to taste as the juice of I the Fukushu is very tart in comparison to other oranges. Adding fresh orange zest is fine substitute for the small Fukushu peel.) Stir mixture and bring to a rolling boil.
2) Place the chocolate portions in a food processor or blender. Add the boiling Cream Mixture and blend together. Now add the butter and blend for the silky consistency. (If you opt to add Cuben Spice this is the time)
3) After blending place the truffle dough in a shallow container. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
4) Use a 1ounce scoop or Mellon baller to portion the chilled dough. At this point you can cover them in chocolate ganache, cocoa powder, nuts, or whatever you'd care to cover your truffles. If during this process the dough starts warming, just put the container in the freezer for a minute or two and it will set back up nicely for easy scooping.
5) Layer the truffles with wax or parchment paper in your storage container and store in the freezer. Remove 5 minutes before serving.
I covered min in chocolate ganache then topped them with chopped pecans. I did add more of the basic favors to the ganache to get that extra spicy orange goodness.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (14g)|
|Recipe Makes: 24 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 47 (69%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 5.2g||7 %|
|Saturated Fat 3.2g||16 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 1.6g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.2g|
|Cholesterol 7.2mg||2 %|
|Sodium 12.2mg||0 %|
|Potassium 37.6mg||1 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 6.1g||2 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0.6g||2 %|
|Sugars, other 5.5g|
|Protein 0.5g||1 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 68
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.