1. Stir together flour, salt and pepper. Rub mixture on the meat, both sides.
2. Melt shortening or heat oil in large skillet or Dutch oven.* Brown meat over medium heat, about 5 to 6 minutes per side.
3. Reduce heat. Add water. Cover tightly. Bake in 325° over three hours. NOTE: Make sure to watch this. If you're baking at 325° I would check it after 1-1.5 hours. Use a meat thermometer, and when the meat is the desired temperature add the vegetables. You may want to bake at 275 or 300 to avoid burning the meat.
4. Add vegetables around roast. Sprinkle vegetables with half a teaspoon of salt. Cook one more hour.
5. Kind of makes it's own gravy.
*Dutch oven is best.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (489g)|
|Recipe Makes: 8 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 34 (12%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 3.7g||5 %|
|Saturated Fat 1.5g||7 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 1.5g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.5g|
|Cholesterol 1.8mg||1 %|
|Sodium 62.3mg||2 %|
|Potassium 1234.2mg||32 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 60.9g||18 %|
|Dietary Fiber 9.2g||37 %|
|Sugars, other 51.7g|
|Protein 6.4g||9 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 291
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.