1. Grease a 9x12-inch baking dish.
2. Stir 1 cup brown sugar and 1/2 cup of non-dairy butter together in a saucepan over medium-low heat until butter melts and sugar dissolves into butter, 2 to 4 minutes. Pour this syrup into a prepared baking dish and spread a 1 1/2- to 2-inch layer of bread pieces over the top.
3. Beat almond milk, eggs, and vanilla extract (and almond extract) together in a bowl; pour milk mixture over bread into the baking dish and move bread as necessary to ensure all bread is absorbing the liquid. Sprinkle cinnamon (and possibly apple pie spice) over the top. Cover the dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate, 8 hours to overnight.
4. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Remove the plastic wrap from baking dish.
5. Stir remaining brown sugar and non-dairy butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat until butter melts and sugar dissolves. Drizzle over top of bread mixture.
5. Bake in the preheated oven until browned and bubbling, about 30 minutes.
Original recipe makes 8 servings. The multiplier is 17 for 136 servings. THIS MEAL IS VEGETARIAN. IT CONTAINS GLUTEN, SUGAR, EGGS AND NUTS (in the form of almond milk). IT IS DAIRY-FREE. It is NOT VEGAN because it contains eggs.
A video shows how to make this: https://www.allrecipes.com/video/5484/easy-french-toast-casserole/?internalSource=picture_play&referringId=240502&referringContentType=recipe. Note: The video does not show the brown sugar and butter drizzle.
Note from 2018: Have Stephanie update "-doubled vanilla, added almond extract, create Gluten-Free option, added apple pie spice"
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (177g)|
|Recipe Makes: 8 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 112 (31%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 12.5g||17 %|
|Saturated Fat 7.9g||39 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 3.3g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.5g|
|Cholesterol 35mg||11 %|
|Sodium 198.9mg||7 %|
|Potassium 239.9mg||6 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 59.2g||17 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||0 %|
|Sugars, other 59.2g|
|Protein 3.7g||5 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 357
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!