1. Season the oxtails and pork cubes with salt and pepper. Place a large pot on the stove and place enough olive oil to barely coat the bottom of the pot. Let the pot start to heat and then working in small batches, thoroughly brown and sear the oxtails and pork. Remove each batch and place in a warm bowl until the meat is all browned and seared on all sides. The goal here is browned not blackened- another style entirely.
2. Deglaze the pot with some of the beef stock and get all the fond up and moving about using your favorite wooden spoon.
3. Place the Mirepoix (that would be the chopped celery, onions, and carrots) in the same pot with the brown goo in the bottom and slowly saute them until nicely carmelized.
4. Deglaze the pot with some more of the beef stock and just a little of the red wine (optional)
5. Return the pork and oxtails to the pot, lid it up, and turn the heat down; way down. For the next 30 minutes stir and scrape the meat and the mirepoix. Add just enough beef stock to keep it moist. Don't worry, the collagens, fats, and meat juices will soon start to flow and develop an incredible flavor and a suprising amount of liquid.
6. Stir the meat about once every 15-20 minutes. 2 hours into the cooking you can add the garlic.
7. After about 3.5 hours at a low simmer the stew should be ready to eat. Pick out the bones from the oxtails and any chunks of gristle that didn't dissolve. Get some bread bowls and ladle the meat into them, pour yourself some wine from the open bottle (it's had time enough to breathe) and dig in.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (439g)|
|Recipe Makes: 12|
|Calories from Fat: 148 (54%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 16.4g||22 %|
|Saturated Fat 5.3g||26 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 7.6g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 2.1g|
|Cholesterol 70.3mg||22 %|
|Sodium 160.4mg||6 %|
|Potassium 588.3mg||15 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 9.6g||3 %|
|Dietary Fiber 1.4g||5 %|
|Sugars, other 8.3g|
|Protein 21.8g||31 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 276
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.