1. Preheat oven to 325F.
2. Saute´ the bacon chunks in 1 tbsp of the lard, tallow or butter on medium heat for about 3 minutes in a pot that goes in the oven. Remove the bacon, but leave the fat in the pan.
3. Dry the beef cubes in paper towel and brown in the same pan that has the hot fat. Make sure you brown the meat on all sides and proceed by batches if it’s easier.
4. Put the beef cubes aside and cook the sliced vegetables (carrot and onion) in the same fat.
5. Put the bacon and beef back in and add the wine, 2 to 3 cups of the beef stock, barely enough to cover the meat, the tomato paste, garlic and herbs.
6. Season to taste, cover and put the pan in the preheated oven and let cook for 3 to 4 hours. Make sure it simmers and adjust the oven temperature accordingly. The meat is ready when fork tender.
7. While the beef bourguignon is stewing, heat 3 tbsp of the lard, tallow or butter and cook the 20 small onions. Saute them for about 10 minutes while trying to brown them evenly on all sides without breaking their skin.
8. Add 1/2 cup beef stock to the browned onions, season to taste and add the bouquet garni, if using.
9. Cover and simmer for about 40 minutes. By that time, the onions will still hold their shape, but will be tender and the liquid will be evaporated.
10. Remove the bouquet garni and set the onions aside.
11. Make sure your pan is dry, add another 3 tbsp lard, tallow or butter and brown the mushrooms for about 4 minutes.
12. When the meat is ready, get the pot out of the oven, put it back on the stove-top and remove bay leaf.
13. Traditional recipes will call for skimming off the fat, but for flavor and nutrition’s sake we will leave all the fat in the final sauce.
14. Depending on the desired thickness of the final sauce, either add some stock to make it thinner or rapidly boil uncovered to thicken.
15. Taste and season accordingly.
16. Add the onions and mushrooms and simmer for another 2 to 3 minutes.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (1903g)|
|Recipe Makes: 6 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 518 (40%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 57.5g||77 %|
|Saturated Fat 21.9g||109 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 24.8g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 3.6g|
|Cholesterol 175.4mg||54 %|
|Sodium 2189.9mg||76 %|
|Potassium 3514.3mg||92 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 88.1g||26 %|
|Dietary Fiber 14.1g||56 %|
|Sugars, other 74g|
|Protein 68.9g||98 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 1304
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.