A note on the sprouts: If you have access to a good farmers market, you should be able to find Brussels sprouts sold on the stalk. If so, get them. They usually taste fresher, and the by-the-stalk option is usually a better deal--the going rate for a stalk here in Portland, Maine, is $4, with a yield that surpasses the $5-per-pound loose price. To remove the sprouts from the stalk, grab near the base of each sprout and give it a quick turn.
1. Prepare the sprouts for searing by cutting off the stem and then slicing each one in half length-wise.
2. Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in as wide of a pan as you have. Place each sprout half flat side down in the pan. (Because this can take a while, I usually start placing them in the pan as soon as I've started heating the oil.)
3. If you want, sprinkle in the caraway seed, which adds a nice hint of rye flavor to the finished dish.
4. Sprinkle salt over the sprout half globes as they start to cook.
5. Using a spatula, press the sprouts into the heated oil. Lower the heat to medium and mostly cover the pan for a couple of minutes.
6. Remove the lid, then again use the spatula to press the sprouts.
7. After another minute or so, start checking the flat part of the sprouts. If most of them have a golden, seared tinge, they're done. Use the spatula to transfer the sprouts to a serving dish.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (116g)|
|Recipe Makes: 4 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 3 (6%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 0.3g||0 %|
|Saturated Fat 0.1g||0 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.2g|
|Cholesterol 0mg||0 %|
|Sodium 900.4mg||31 %|
|Potassium 441.3mg||12 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 10.1g||3 %|
|Dietary Fiber 4.3g||17 %|
|Sugars, other 5.8g|
|Protein 3.8g||5 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 49
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.