1. For the spinach balls, blanch the spinach leaves in a pan of salted, boiling water for 1-2 minutes, then drain well and refresh in cold water.
2. Using your hands, squeeze out as much water from the blanched spinach leaves as possible, then finely chop the spinach.
3. Transfer the blanched, drained spinach to a bowl, then stir in the beaten eggs, nutmeg, garlic pur?e, breadcrumbs and parmesan. Season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Mix well until the mixture binds together, adding more breadcrumbs or more water, as necessary, to bind the mixture.
4. Roll the spinach mixture into walnut-sized balls and place onto a baking tray.
5. Cover the base of a frying pan in a thin film of olive oil. Heat gently over a low to medium heat.
6. When the oil is hot, add the spinach balls, in batches if necessary, and fry for 4-5 minutes on each side, or until crisp and golden-brown all over. Remove from the pan using a slotted spoon and set aside to drain on kitchen paper. Keep warm. Repeat the process with the remaining spinach balls.
7. Meanwhile, for the pasta sauce, heat the oil in a separate frying pan over a medium heat. Add the garlic and chilli and fry for 1-2 minutes, or until softened but not coloured.
8. Add the courgettes and continue to fry for 3-4 minutes, or until the courgettes have started to soften.
9. Add the parmesan and season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Mix until well combined, then stir in the reserved cooking water from the pasta and the cooked, drained rigatoni.
10. To serve, divide the pasta and sauce equally among four serving plates. Place the fried spinach balls on top.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (31g)|
|Recipe Makes: 4 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 81 (85%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 9g||12 %|
|Saturated Fat 1.6g||8 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 5.8g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 1g|
|Cholesterol 93.1mg||29 %|
|Sodium 31.4mg||1 %|
|Potassium 41.1mg||1 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 1g||0 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0.1g||0 %|
|Sugars, other 0.9g|
|Protein 2.9g||4 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 95
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.