1. Heat half of the olive oil on medium high. When hot, add the beef, stirring occasionally for 20-30 minutes. You will hear sound change from sizzling to crackling, and beef will be dark brown and smell like roast.
2. Turn down heat to medium, make a well in the center, and add onions to well. Sweat for 3-5 minutes then add garlic and stir to blend.
3. Make another well, add tomato paste and cook stirring constantly for 1-2 minutes. Mix into rest of mixture, then pour in wine and deglaze.
4. Add all of herbs and spices and bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer and simmer 40-45 minutes. Add water as needed. When done, take off heat and set aside.
5. Cook pasta in large pot with salted water 7-8 minutes. Drain, drizzle with remaining olive oil, toss with about a cup of meat sauce. When cooled somewhat, toss with whisked egg whites and cheese.
6. Melt butter in large deep pan. Add flour and whisk, cook until light brown, whisking continuously. Remove from heat, add cold milk in small batches, whisking continuously until smooth.
7. Return to heat and whisk constantly until mixture boils and thickens. Season with nutmeg and 3S3P.
8. Remove from heat. Stir in cheese, reserving some to sprinkle on top.
9. Whisk the 2 whole eggs and 2 yolks. Temper with hot Mornay by adding a bit of sauce to eggs slowly, whisking vigorously. Add to remaining sauce.
10. Heat oven to 375 degrees F
11. Oil a 13 x 9 x 3 pan. Pour in pasta mixture. Ladle rest of meat sauce on top and smooth out.
12. Pour Mornay sauce on top, smooth out, the sprinkle with remaining cheese.
13. Bake until golden brown and set, 45-50 minutes. Rotate after 30 minutes. If browning too fast, turn down to 350.
14. MUST let rest 45-60 minutes before serving.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (343g)|
|Recipe Makes: 12 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 249 (61%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 27.6g||37 %|
|Saturated Fat 13.2g||66 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 10g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 1.6g|
|Cholesterol 304.7mg||94 %|
|Sodium 223.1mg||8 %|
|Potassium 473.6mg||12 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 9.6g||3 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0.7g||3 %|
|Sugars, other 8.9g|
|Protein 26.9g||38 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 408
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!