Preparation can be done ahead of time so the cooking can be done as the table is cleared for dessert.
1. In a bowl, whip the whipping cream till it stands up in peaks, chill till ready to serve.
2. In a saucepan just large enough to take the pears comfortably, mix the sugar, water, cinnamon stick, cloves, and orange peel. Bring to a simmer and then cool.
3. Peel the pears, leaving the stem intact. Cut a bit off the bottom of the pear to stand upright in the pan. Leave them in a stainless or glass bowl covered with mild salt water until ready to cook.
4. When ready to cook, place dessert bowl or dish in plate warmer or oven set to 135 degrees. Drain the pears and place them in the sugar syrup pan, upright. Add the port and bring the whole to a gentle boil. Turn to a simmer and cover. Cook until the pears are tender but still a bit firm, about 15 minutes. Transfer the pears, upright, to the warmed dessert bowls or dishes. Turn up the heat to medium and continue reducing the sauce by about 1/2.
5. Puddle the reduced port sauce around the pears, add whipping cream and sprinkle with chopped candied ginger to garnish.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (342g)|
|Recipe Makes: 6 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 42 (13%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 4.7g||6 %|
|Saturated Fat 2.5g||13 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 1.2g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.5g|
|Cholesterol 13.7mg||4 %|
|Sodium 24.1mg||1 %|
|Potassium 311.7mg||8 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 63g||19 %|
|Dietary Fiber 7.6g||30 %|
|Sugars, other 55.4g|
|Protein 1.3g||2 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 319
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!