1. 1. In medium bowl, combine cocoa with boiling water, mixing with wire whisk until smooth.
2. Cool completely.
3. Sift flour with soda, salt and baking powder.
4. Preheat oven to 350F.
5. Grease well and lightly flour three 9 by 1 1/2 inch layer-cake pans.
6. 2. In large bowl of electric mixer, at high speed, beat butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla, scraping bowl occasionally until light-about 5 mins.
7. At low speed, beat in flour mixture (in fourths), alternately with cocoa mixture (in thirds), beginning.
8. and ending with flour mixture.
9. Do not overbeat.
10. Divide evenly into pans;smooth top. Bake 25 to 30 mins.
11. , or until surface springs back when gently pressed with fingertip.
12. 3. Cool in pans 10 mins.
13. Carefully loosen sides with spatula; 4. Remove from pans; cool on racks.
14. Frosting:In medium saucepan, combine chocolate pieces,cream, butter;stir over medium heat until smooth.
15. Remove from heat.
16. With whisk, blend in 2 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar.
17. In bowl set over ice(I use ice cubes) beat until it holds shape.
18. Filling: whip cream with sugar and vanilla;refrigerate.
19. To assemble cake: On plate place a layer, top side down;spread with half of cream.
20. Place second layer, top side down;spread with rest of cream.
21. Place third layer, top side up. To frost: With spatula, frost sides first,covering whipped cream;use rest of frosting on top, swirling decoratively.
22. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.
23. To cut, use a thin-edged sharp knife;slice with a sawing motion.
24. And forget the swirls.
25. I think it looks gourmet just to spread the frosting.
26. It dries really dark and looks cool.
27. Somethimes I just drag a sharp knife across the top in lines and sometimes I leave it as it is. From McCall's Cooking School.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 recipe (5732g)|
|Recipe Makes: 4|
|Calories from Fat: 6930 (40%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 770g||1027 %|
|Saturated Fat 448.5g||2243 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 223.6g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 39.6g|
|Cholesterol 5954.9mg||1832 %|
|Sodium 13058.5mg||450 %|
|Potassium 7014.2mg||185 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 2616.2g||769 %|
|Dietary Fiber 92g||368 %|
|Sugars, other 2524.1g|
|Protein 231.7g||331 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 17423
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.