1. In a small saucepan combine the molasses and butter. Cook and stir over low heat until butter is melted. Remove from heat. Pour mixture into a large bowl and cool to room temperature.
2. In a medium bowl stir together the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking soda, cardamom, allspice, and pepper. Set aside.
3. Stir egg into cooled molasses mixture. Gradually stir in flour mixture until combined; knead in the last of the flour mixture by hand, if necessary. Cover and chill about 1 hour or until dough is easy to handle.
4. Divide dough into 12 portions. On a lightly floured surface roll each portion into a 10 inch rope. Cut ropes into 1/2 inch pieces. Place pieces 1/2 inch apart in an ungreased shallow baking pan.
5. Bake in a 350 degree Fahrenheit oven about 10 minutes or until edges are firm and bottoms are lightly browned. Transfer cookies to paper towels; cool.
To store: Place in layers separated by waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature up to 3 days or freeze up to 3 months.
I made a substitution in this recipe as I do not have cardamom (it is very expensive). I used ground ginger instead. Also, at the part when rolling out the dough, I did not use a floured surface, as it seemed to dry to dough out too much...there seems to be plenty of butter to keep it from sticking to the surface. Lastly, I baked in my convection oven at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (27g)|
|Recipe Makes: 24 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 18 (21%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 2g||3 %|
|Saturated Fat 1.2g||6 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0.5g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.1g|
|Cholesterol 5.1mg||2 %|
|Sodium 1310.7mg||45 %|
|Potassium 84mg||2 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 15.8g||5 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0.3g||1 %|
|Sugars, other 15.5g|
|Protein 1.1g||2 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 85
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!