1. Mix flour and salt in a large bowl. Cut in shortening with a pastry blender until mixture is completely blended and appears crumbly.
2. Mix in water, 1 tablespoon at a time, by lightly tossing with a fork. Add only enough water to form mixture into a ball. The dough will be sticky and tough if to much water is added, and it will crack and tear when rolled if too little is added.
3. Divide the dough into 2 balls, and roll each out into a circle 1 inch larger than the inverted pie plate.
4. Follow these directions for a filled pie. Fold one circle of dough in half, and gently lift. Place into pie plate and unfold. Add filling to pie plate. Fold second circle of dough in half. Gently place over filling, and unfold. With a table knife, cut off excess crust evenly so that 1/2 to 1 inch extends beyond the edge of the pie plate. Fold under the excess dough so that it is even with the edge of the pie plate. Flute the edge of the crust. Cut slits in top crust for steam to escape.
5. Follow these directions for 2 prebaked pie shells. Fold circle of dough in half, and gently lift. Place into pie plate and unfold. Either prick the entire surface of dough with a fork, or weight the bottom of the crust with pie weights while baking. Pie weights can be uncooked rice, dried beans, small clean pebbles, or small balls sold as pie weights.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (218g)|
|Recipe Makes: 2 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 422 (49%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 46.9g||62 %|
|Saturated Fat 18.6g||93 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 20.4g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 5.5g|
|Cholesterol 25.5mg||8 %|
|Sodium 1590.6mg||55 %|
|Potassium 192.8mg||5 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 94.7g||28 %|
|Dietary Fiber 4.2g||17 %|
|Sugars, other 90.5g|
|Protein 12.7g||18 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 860
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!