If you want to be the master of pineapple-upside down cake, this recipe, adapted from "The Cake Bible," by Rose Levy Beranbaum, should help. The sour cream in the batter gives the cake an extraordinary lightness, and it flips perfectly from the pan every time, revealing the rings of fruit, each centered by a shiny cherry.
1. Drain pineapple slices and cherries and place on paper towels to absorb excess moisture.
2. Melt 1/4 cup butter in 10-inch cast iron skillet. Stir in brown sugar and remove from heat.
3. Place 1 whole pineapple slice in center of pan and 7 whole slices surrounding it. Place half slices side by side against sides of pan. Place cherries in center of whole pineapple slices. Tuck pecans into gaps between fruit.
4. Combine egg yolks, 2 tablespoons sour cream and vanilla in bowl.
5. Combine cake flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in another bowl. Add 9 tablespoons butter and remaining sour cream. Mix until dry ingredients are moistened. Beat for 1 1/2 minutes to aerate mixture.
6. Gradually add egg mixture to batter in 3 batches, beating 20 seconds after each addition. Scrape batter into fruit-lined skillet. Bake at 350 degrees 40 to 50 minutes or until golden brown and cake springs back when pressed lightly in center.
7. Run small spatula around sides and invert at once onto serving plate. Leave skillet in place 1 or 2 minutes before lifting. If any fruit has stuck to skillet, use small spatula to place back on cake. Makes 10 servings.
Each serving contains about:
398 calories; 106 mg sodium; 127 mg cholesterol; 21 grams fat; 52 grams carbohydrates; 4 grams protein; .62 gram fiber; 46% calories from fat.
Author: Rose Beranbaum
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (149g)|
|Recipe Makes: 10 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 186 (47%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 20.7g||28 %|
|Saturated Fat 11.5g||57 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 6.1g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 1.5g|
|Cholesterol 108.6mg||33 %|
|Sodium 149.7mg||5 %|
|Potassium 149.5mg||4 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 50.6g||15 %|
|Dietary Fiber 1.3g||5 %|
|Sugars, other 49.3g|
|Protein 3.4g||5 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 394
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
What would you serve with this? Link in another recipe.