1. Heat a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the pistachio kernels and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until toasted (see microwave tip). Remove from heat and set aside for 5 minutes to cool. Place in the bowl of a food processor and process until finely chopped. Set aside until required.
2. Combine the cream, milk and cinnamon stick in a large saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Remove from heat and set aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly. Discard cinnamon stick.
3. Use a wire balloon whisk to whisk together the egg yolks and sugar in a large heatproof jug until thick and pale. Gradually stir in the warm milk mixture until well combined.
4. Pour mixture into a clean saucepan and place over low heat. Cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, for 15 minutes or until custard coats back of the spoon. Remove from heat. Stir in food colouring and pistachio until combined.
5. Pour into a shallow metal container. Cover with foil and place in the freezer for 4 hours or until almost set.
6. Roughly break up the ice-cream with a large metal spoon. Transfer to a large bowl and use an electric beater to beat until smooth. Quickly return mixture to the metal container. Cover with foil and freeze for another 4 hours or until firm. Spoon into bowls and serve immediately.
Recipe from Taste.com.au
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (358g)|
|Recipe Makes: 4 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 503 (60%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 55.9g||75 %|
|Saturated Fat 20.6g||103 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 24.5g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 8.6g|
|Cholesterol 2524.7mg||777 %|
|Sodium 135.4mg||5 %|
|Potassium 360.4mg||9 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 49.1g||14 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||0 %|
|Sugars, other 49.1g|
|Protein 35.4g||51 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 838
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.