From: ArcaMax Publishing's "Variety Menu," via "the EatingWell Test Kitchen" (8/2/2012)
(EatingWell is a magazine & website devoted to healthy eating as a way of life.)
Plum Betty, humble yet deeply satisfying! The combination of cooked fruit layered with breadcrumbs or cubes, which defines the humble betty, doesn't sound like much. But something special happens when it's all baked together & the bread gets soft & gooey with the juices of the fruit. In this plum betty, chopped walnuts add a crunchy touch mixed in with the bread. Pecans or almonds are also tasty options.
To make this recipe ahead of time, store the topping in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Coat a 9 inch shallow glass or ceramic baking dish with cooking spray.
2. To prepare the filling: Toss the plums (or cherries) with 1/3 cup brown sugar & orange juice in a medium bowl. (If using frozen fruit, let stand for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, to thaw the fruit before transferring to the baking dish.)
3. To prepare the topping: Toss the breadcrumbs, 1/4 cup brown sugar & cinnamon in a bowl until blended.
4. Sprinkle 1/2 cup of the topping in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Top with half of the fruit. Sprinkle 1/2 cup of the topping over the fruit, then top with the remaining fruit. Bake for 30 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, toss the remaining topping with walnuts & butter until combined. After 30 minutes, remove the betty from the oven & sprinkle the breadcrumb-walnut mixture on top. Return to the oven & bake until the fruit is bubbly & the crumbs are browned; 30 to 40 minutes more.
6. Let the betty cool for about 20 minutes before serving.
Recipe tip: To make your own fresh breadcrumbs, trim the crusts from whole-wheat bread. Tear the bread into pieces & process in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. One slice of bread makes about 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (115g)|
|Recipe Makes: 6 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 91 (47%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 10.1g||13 %|
|Saturated Fat 2.8g||14 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 2.6g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 3.9g|
|Cholesterol 10.2mg||3 %|
|Sodium 54.5mg||2 %|
|Potassium 236.4mg||6 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 25.1g||7 %|
|Dietary Fiber 1.9g||8 %|
|Sugars, other 23.2g|
|Protein 3.6g||5 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 194
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!