- In a 6-8 qt black iron pot, put one cup of cooking oil and turn heat on medium to high. Cook pork until all water evaporated from the meat.
- turn heat to low and add onions on top of meat. Stir bottom frequently to keep from sticking. Cook until onions become glazed and most of the liquid has evaporated from them. Add 3/4 qt of water and 1/2 lb of sausage and turn heat to low boil. Make mental note of water level in the pot.
- Cook 10 minutes, adding cajun seasoning of your choice to taste. Turn heat off and check water level to make sure it has not decreased much. (Replace water as needed)
- Skim off excess oil leaving a small amount.
-Turn heat back to low boil and season to taste again. Add extra salt and pepper because the rice will absorb much of the seasonings.
- Turn heat on medium to high and add rice, stirring frequently to keep rice from sticking. Stir 6-7 minutes until rice has soaked up most of the liquid.
- Without disturbing or stirring the rice, run a large spoon down the side of the pot in 3 or 4 places to allow the water on top to drain to the bottom.
- Seal rice back in place with the back of the spoon.
- Time 20-25 minutes and turn rice over without scraping the bottom of the pot.
- Turn heat off and Jambalaya is done. Let sit a few minutes then serve with beans of your choice.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (392g)|
|Recipe Makes: 7 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 907 (75%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 100.8g||134 %|
|Saturated Fat 27.4g||137 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 53g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 16.4g|
|Cholesterol 89.1mg||27 %|
|Sodium 775.5mg||27 %|
|Potassium 331.3mg||9 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 58.5g||17 %|
|Dietary Fiber 1.9g||8 %|
|Sugars, other 56.6g|
|Protein 14.8g||21 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 1205
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.