- Heat 1/2 teaspoon coconut oil in a pot, add butter and stir until the whiteness has disappeared.
- Add the grains, stir, and let them turn golden brown.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon sugar and 1/2 teaspoon salt. (Adding them before the fluid will enhance the taste of the porridge).
- Add 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds if desired, and let them turn brownish too.
- Lower the heat and pour in the milk so that the grains are covered by 2 inches (they will drink it all up!)
- Bring to a boil and let the porridge simmer until the grains are half-cooked (10 minutes).
- Add handful of raisins.
- If desired, add 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- Add any of the optional items you like: finely crated carrot or dried fruit or almonds.
- Optionally beat in the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each. The hot porridge will cook the eggs completely.
- Cover and let the porridge cook in its own heat for 10 minutes.
- Serve the porridge hot with butter or honey or natural yoghurt.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (1469g)|
|Recipe Makes: Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 551 (49%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 61.2g||82 %|
|Saturated Fat 30.3g||151 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 19.5g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 6g|
|Cholesterol 141.2mg||43 %|
|Sodium 2058.6mg||71 %|
|Potassium 2328.4mg||61 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 100.1g||29 %|
|Dietary Fiber 5.6g||23 %|
|Sugars, other 94.4g|
|Protein 49.3g||70 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 1125
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!