Portuguese Almond Torte by David Leite
Bolo de Amêndoa by David Leite
Serves 10 to 12, richly
Because this torte is made with no flour, it’s exceptionally moist and dense — just the way the Portuguese adore it. To decorate it, I like to sprinkle on a bit of confectioners’ sugar or, if I’m feeling truly decadent, I spoon on some preserves and whipped cream.
1. Position the rack in the middle of the oven and crank the heat to 350°F. Grease a 10-inch springform pan with butter, line the bottom with parchment paper, and grease the paper. Coat the pan with flour and tap out the excess.
2. Buzz the almonds and 1/4 cup of the sugar in a food processor until the consistency of fine cornmeal. Really lean on that button to make sure the almonds are as finely chopped as possible. Add the butter and pulse to combine. Set aside.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or with a handheld mixer in a big bowl, beat 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons of the sugar and the yolks on medium-high until very light and fluffy, about 7 minutes. Add the zest, salt, and cinnamon and mix until incorporated. Whirl in the almond mixture and vanilla.
4. In an impeccably clean bowl, whisk the egg whites until foamy then slowly whisk in the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar until the whites form soft, luscious peaks. Plop a spatulaful into the almond mixture and stir to lighten. Carefully fold in the remainder of the whites until no streaks show. Spoon the batter into the pan and smooth the top.
5. Bake until the cake is golden brown and begins to pull away from the sides of the pan, about 45 minutes. Transfer to a rack and let rest for 5 minutes before releasing the cake from the pan. Cool completely before serving. The middle will collapse a bit; that is as it should be.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (154g)|
|Recipe Makes: 12|
|Calories from Fat: 284 (59%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 31.5g||42 %|
|Saturated Fat 9.2g||46 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 15.3g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 5.1g|
|Cholesterol 100.3mg||31 %|
|Sodium 221.1mg||8 %|
|Potassium 378.7mg||10 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 36.1g||11 %|
|Dietary Fiber 4.2g||17 %|
|Sugars, other 32g|
|Protein 17.1g||24 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 478
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.