1. Pack cut cucumbers into hot pint jars (you will need 2 for this recipe, and heat them in a pot of boiling water for at least 10 minutes, leaving them in the sterilizing water until ready to use).
2. Place in each jar: 2 cloves sliced garlic, 1 tsp dill seed, 1 tsp mixed pickling spices, 6 peppercorns and 1 tsp red pepper flakes or 1 cayenne pepper sliced lengthwise into quarters.
3. Combine cider vinegar, water and salt in a small saucepan and bring to a boil to dissolve salt.
4. Pour the hot vinegar solution over the cucumbers, leaving 1/2" between the lid and the fluid level. Be sure all cucumbers are covered, or else pickling will not proceed appropriately.
5. Process cans as follows (for more detailed instructions, refer to the Joy of Cooking which has excellent detail):
-Prepare the lids by pouring boiling water over them in a heat-proof bowl just before use
-Wipe the rims and threads of the jars with a clean cloth
-Run a spatula along the sides of the jar to release any air bubbles that may have become trapped in the contents
-For each jar, place on the prepared lid and screw ring, turning until you meet resistance but not forcing it further
-Finally, submerge the cans in rapidly boiling water for 10 minutes to create a vacuum seal. Remove carefully with tongs or a jar lifter, and place on a rack so they do not touch. Allow to cool for 12 hours without disturbing them, then store in a cool dark place until use.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (71g)|
|Recipe Makes: 10 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 3 (9%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 0.4g||0 %|
|Saturated Fat 0.1g||0 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0.1g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.1g|
|Cholesterol 0mg||0 %|
|Sodium 702.8mg||24 %|
|Potassium 179.6mg||5 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 7.3g||2 %|
|Dietary Fiber 2.4g||10 %|
|Sugars, other 5g|
|Protein 1.3g||2 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 35
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!