Heat oven to 350 degrees. Slice eggplant in 5/8 inch rounds. Cut each round into about 9-10 cubes (if its the large size eggplant) however if using the Japanese size then about 4 pieces. Place cubes on Pam-sprayed baking sheet. Bake for about 10 minutes or somewhat browned. Turn oven off and leave in oven.
Heat olive oil in large Dutch oven. Saute onion about 5 minutes. Add garlic and saute 1 minute. Add herbs and saute 1 minute. Add peppers and saute 3-5 minutes. Add zucchini and tomatoes. Cook until vegetables are done to taste. Stir in the diced eggplant. This makes about 4 quarts. May want to add some water if a bit dry or if serving as a sauce over something.
1. It is good as a vegetable side dish.
2. We like this over pasta which makes it a main dish. A few good olives on the side are nice. Pine nuts maybe? Haven't tried them yet.
3. The quantities of vegetables are general guidelines. Adjust according to taste or what is in the refrigerator!
4. This recipe makes a lot! You may want to do half. We tend to make a big pot of something so we have enough to last a few days.
5. The original recipe suggests a Middle Eastern version by substituting 2 tsp ground cumin, 2 tsp tumeric, and 1 tsp coriander instead of the thyme, oregano, and basil.
6. Eggplant: After I dice/slice the eggplant, I pick up the slice in its slice configuration and put it on the baking sheet. After they are all on the baking sheet, I separate the dices a bit. The original recipe calls for dixing the eggplant, sprinkling well with salt, putting in a bowl, weighting the pieces down with a plate or bowl, and letting the eggplant drain for 30 minutes. Then rinse, drain and dry and saute. I like my oven method better.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Quart (904g)|
|Recipe Makes: 4 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 23 (11%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 2.6g||3 %|
|Saturated Fat 0.5g||2 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0.8g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.8g|
|Cholesterol 0mg||0 %|
|Sodium 45.9mg||2 %|
|Potassium 1992.8mg||52 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 45.7g||13 %|
|Dietary Fiber 16.1g||64 %|
|Sugars, other 29.6g|
|Protein 9.2g||13 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 210
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!