This is a great red curry grilled chicken recipe that is easy, quick and just delicious. Red curry paste is a blend of east Asian spices that really wakes up the flavor of food. But if you are afraid of too much heat in your food, don't worry, this chicken is not very spicy. The red curry paste does have a bit of spice to it but the small amount blended in with the coconut milk just adds a hint of kick to the chicken, it doesn't add noticeable spicy heat.If you don't want to grill, this same recipe could be cooked in the oven or under the broiler.
1. Using a heavy duty kitchen shears, clip off the chicken wing tips. Cut down each side of the backbone, close to the midline, to fully remove the backbone. Stay as close to the backbone as possible so that you do not remove additional meat (especially the delicious "oysters" which are close to the middle of the back). Spread the cut side out on a solid surface and smack the breast sides with your fist to crack the bones and flatten out the chicken. Cut deep slits into the leg and thigh meat to the bone about 1/2 of an inch apart. Gently slide your fingers under the skin to separate the skin from the breasts but leave in place.
2. As you get your grill heated up, thoroughly mix together the coconut milk, red curry paste and sugar. Rub over the chicken, working into all surfaces, into the slits and under the skin. Let sit for a few minutes. It does not need to marinate long. Fifteen minutes is adequate, no more than an hour or so.
3. Ideally, set up your grill for indirect heat so that you can cook the chicken slowly without burning it. When the grill is ready, season the chicken thoroughly with salt and freshly ground black pepper on all surfaces (the salt really brings out the rich flavor of the curry paste so don't be skimpy!).
4. Grill the chicken first on the skin side down, until browned and crisp, but not burnt, about 10 minutes, covered. Then flip the chicken and cover. Cook on indirect heat for about 20 minutes or so until cooked.
5. Remove chicken and let rest 5 to 10 minutes. Carve and serve!
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Recipe (17g)|
|Recipe Makes: 1 Recipe|
|Calories from Fat: 16 (27%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 1.7g||2 %|
|Saturated Fat 0.3g||1 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0.7g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.3g|
|Cholesterol 0mg||0 %|
|Sodium 7.9mg||0 %|
|Potassium 200.6mg||5 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 11.9g||4 %|
|Dietary Fiber 4.2g||17 %|
|Sugars, other 7.7g|
|Protein 1.6g||2 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 59
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!