1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees,
Spray 3 nine inch pans with nonstick baking spray with flour. Line bottom of pans with parchment paper and spray with baking spray. Set aside.
2. With a stand mixer beat butter and sugar at high speed until fluffy about 3 to 4 minutes. Stopping occasionally to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add sour cream, food coloring, and vanilla, beating to combine.
3. In a medium whisk together flour, cocoa, salt, and baking soda. With mixer on low speed, add flour mixture to butter mixture in thirds, alternating with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat until combined. Divide batter evenly between pans.
4. Bake until toothpick comes out clean, approximately 25 minutes. Let cool in pans 10minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks.
5. Trim top of layers to flatten, if necessary. Spread cream cheese icing between layers and on top and sides of cake
CREAM CHEESE ICING DIRECTIONS
1. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese at high speed with mixer until smooth. Add butter, beating until smooth. Reduce speed to low. Gradually add confectioners' sugar, vanilla, and salt, beating until combined.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (237g)|
|Recipe Makes: 12 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 549 (76%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 61g||81 %|
|Saturated Fat 36.8g||184 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 16.4g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 2.9g|
|Cholesterol 359.5mg||111 %|
|Sodium 14175.5mg||489 %|
|Potassium 231.4mg||6 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 33.7g||10 %|
|Dietary Fiber 1.9g||8 %|
|Sugars, other 31.7g|
|Protein 12.8g||18 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 723
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.