1. Preheat the oven to 350° F. Spray two round 10-inch cake pans (2 inches deep) with non-stick baking spray.
2. Blend together the shortening and sugar in a mixing bowl, using an electric mixer. Set aside.
3. Sift together the flour and salt. Set aside.
4. Mix the eggs, buttermilk, vanilla, baking soda and vinegar in a separate bowl.
5. Alternate adding the flour mixture and the buttermilk mixture to the shortening mixture in the mixing bowl, mixing after each addition.
6. In a small bowl, mix the red food coloring and cocoa powder.
7. Pour into the mixing bowl and mix until just combined. Do not overbeat!
8. Pour the batter evenly into the cake pans and bake for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan for 20 minutes. Cool completely before icing.
9. Place one layer face down on a cake plate and plop a large spoonful of icing in the center of the layer.
10. Using an offset spatula, spread one-third of the icing evenly on top of one layer, making sure to get the icing all the way to the edges. Place the other cake layer on top, face down.
11. Ice the top and the sides with the remaining icing, being careful not to loosen crumbs as you go.
12. Refrigerate the cake for 20 minutes before cutting and serving.
Mix 12 ounces Cream Cheese and 3/4 cup of butter until smooth. Sift 1 1/2 pounds of powdered sugar and add to the bowl. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt and mix.
Add 2 teaspoons of vanilla and mix until smooth
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (295g)|
|Recipe Makes: 8 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 378 (41%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 42g||56 %|
|Saturated Fat 22g||110 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 13.8g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 3.3g|
|Cholesterol 73mg||22 %|
|Sodium 12448.3mg||429 %|
|Potassium 273.1mg||7 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 121.4g||36 %|
|Dietary Fiber 2.6g||10 %|
|Sugars, other 118.8g|
|Protein 14.7g||21 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 933
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!