Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
1. wipe the chicken dry outside and inside with paper towels. Sprinkle 1/4 tsp salt and freshly ground pepper in the cavity of the chicken. Cut up the fennel branch or celery rig into 1/2" slices. Mince the white bulbs of scallions and stuff the chicken. Truss
2. Melt 3 Tbs butter and 1 Tbs olive oil in 12" cast-iron skillet. When the fats are hot but not smoking, brown the chicken, breast side down first, then turn the chicken on its sides and back to brown all over (about 20 minutes); always regulate the heat to prevent scorching the skin on the chicken. Remove the chicken to a plate.
3. Discard the fat in the skillet. Add 1/2 c. wine and 1/2 c. water to the skillet and, over high heat, deglaze by stirring with a wooden spoon to get up the drippings (1 minute). Remove from heat.
4. Return the chicken to the skillet, breast side up, with juices that spewed out of the chicken. Sprinkle with 1/2 tsp salt and freshly ground pepper.
5. Roast uncovered in a 350 degree F preheated oven for 1 1/2 hours, basting every 10 minutes as follows: Baste the chicken with pan juices, then add more water to the pan. There should only be about a cup of pan juices at the finish.
6. Flambe the chicken with absinthe. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board with a groove around the edge to catch the juices. Carve into 8 pieces. Pour the chicken juices back into the skillet; bring them to a boil for 30 seconds, stirring all the while. Turn off the heat and whisk in 3 Tbs butter, cut up in small pieces. Taste and correct seasoning with 1/4 teaspoon salt and freshly ground pepper, if necessary.
7. Serve the sauce in a preheated sauceboat.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (429g)|
|Recipe Makes: 4 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 720 (69%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 80g||107 %|
|Saturated Fat 29.1g||146 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 30.8g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 13.7g|
|Cholesterol 347.1mg||107 %|
|Sodium 410.6mg||14 %|
|Potassium 761.9mg||20 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 0.3g||0 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||0 %|
|Sugars, other 0.2g|
|Protein 74g||106 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 1039
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!