1. Remove the skin from the duck in one piece, starting from the spine-side. Debone the duck, reserve legs for forcemeat and breast for garnish. Square off the ends of the breasts and add the pieces of trim to the forcemeat.
2. Cover the duck breasts with the brine; cure under refrigeration for 4 hours.
3. Lay the skin out on a sheet pan lined with plastic wrap and freeze. When the skin is frozen, remove all the excess fat using a chef's knife in a scraping motion.
4. Sweat the shallots, garlic, and ginger in the vegetable oil and cool. Combine this mixture with the duck leg and thigh meat, the trim from the breasts, and the pork, fatback, oyster sauce, soy sauce, sesame oil, thyme, cilantro, jalapeno, five-spice powder, honey, and TCM; marinate for 1 hour.
5. Grind the meat through the medium plate (1/4 inch) of a meat grinder. Chill, if necessary, before grinding through the fine plate (1/8 inch).
6. Transfer the ground meats to a chilled mixing bowl. Mix on medium speed for 1 minute, until homogeneous. Test and adjust the forcemeat if necessary before proceeding.
7. Toss the mushrooms, carrots, and green onions with the gelatin. Fold the vegetables into the forcemeat, working over an ice bath.
8. Place the duck skin on a large piece of aluminum foil. Pipe the forcemeat onto the skin and smooth with a palatte knife. Place the breasts in the middle and roll into a galantine. Wrap the galantine in foil, forming a roulade.
9. Place the galantine on a sheet pan and roast in a 300 degree oven to an internal temperature of 165, 50 to 60 minutes. To serve the galantine, unwrap and slice.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (303g)|
|Recipe Makes: 10|
|Calories from Fat: 815 (86%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 90.5g||121 %|
|Saturated Fat 30.3g||152 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 43g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 11.9g|
|Cholesterol 157.3mg||48 %|
|Sodium 252.5mg||9 %|
|Potassium 524.5mg||14 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 7.6g||2 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0.6g||2 %|
|Sugars, other 7.1g|
|Protein 25.7g||37 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 953
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.