1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees fahrenheit.
2. Peel off the outer layers of skin from the garlic heads, leaving the skin on the individual cloves. Slice off 1/4 to 1/2 inch (5mm to 1 cm) from the top of each head to expose the individual cloves. If your knife misses a couple of cloves, just use a paring knife to cut the tips off..
3. Set each head on its own piece of aluminum foil and drizzle about 1/2 teaspoon (2 mL) of the extra-virgin olive oil on top of each, making sure to cover each exposed clove. Wrap the garlic heads in the foil and place them directly on the oven rack or on a small baking sheet.
4. Roast on the oven for 35 to 40 minutes, until the cloves are golden and very soft.
5. Let cool slightly, then carefully unwrap and let cool further. Once cool enough to handle, gently squeeze the garlic cloves out of the skins. You should have a scant 1/4 cup (60 mL) of roasted garlic cloves.
6. In a food processor, mince the sun-dried tomatoes. Add half the roasted garlic cloves, olive oil, lemon juice, tahini, and chickpeas. Process again, scraping down the bowl as necessary. Taste and add the remaining roasted garlic cloves if desired (you know I do!)
7. Add the water as needed to thin the hummus to your desired consistency, and finally add the salt and cayenne (if using). Process again. Let the machine run for at least a minute to get the hummus really smooth.
8. Spoon into a serving bowl and garnish with a drizzle of olive oil, fresh basil, and finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes. Serve with crackers, crudites, or fresh bread.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (17g)|
|Recipe Makes: 2 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 93 (85%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 10.3g||14 %|
|Saturated Fat 1.4g||7 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 4.7g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 3.8g|
|Cholesterol 0mg||0 %|
|Sodium 17.3mg||1 %|
|Potassium 62.1mg||2 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 3.2g||1 %|
|Dietary Fiber 1.4g||6 %|
|Sugars, other 1.8g|
|Protein 2.6g||4 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 109
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
Keep all your recipes with free BigOven membership. Clip recipes, make grocery lists, meal plans and more!
What would you serve with this? Link in another recipe
Be the first to review it!
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!