1. Heat oven to 300 degrees. Spread hazelnuts on a rimmed baking pan and roast, stirring once or twice, until fragrant and lightly browned, about 12 minutes. Transfer to a rack.
2. Split vanilla pod lengthwise and scrape seeds into a saucepan. Add vanilla pod, milk, cream, 1/4 cup sugar and the salt. Simmer over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, rub still-warm hazelnuts in a clean dish towel to remove skins. Take saucepan off heat and allow cream to cool while you prepare hazelnut paste.
4. In a food processor, place 1/2 cup hazelnuts, remaining 1/4 cup sugar and the Cognac or rum and pur?e until a paste forms, 3 to 5 minutes. Scrape paste into saucepan holding milk mixture and return it to medium-low heat. Simmer, stirring occasionally until paste dissolves, 5 to 7 minutes. Discard vanilla pod and stir in vanilla extract. Transfer to a bowl and place in refrigerator or set into an ice bath to chill. Coarsely chop remaining hazelnuts.
5. When mixture is cold, pour it into bowl of an ice cream machine along with 1/4 cup chopped hazelnuts and churn according to manufacturer?s directions. Transfer to a container and freeze until solid, at least 2 hours. Let sit at room temperature for 5 to 10 minutes before serving, or in refrigerator for 15 to 30. Sprinkle with remaining hazelnuts.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 quart (670g)|
|Recipe Makes: 1 Serving|
|Calories from Fat: 1047 (44%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 116.3g||155 %|
|Saturated Fat 34.1g||170 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 65.9g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 10.8g|
|Cholesterol 172.8mg||53 %|
|Sodium 549.8mg||19 %|
|Potassium 1079mg||28 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 329.8g||97 %|
|Dietary Fiber 11.2g||45 %|
|Sugars, other 318.6g|
|Protein 23.7g||34 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 2391
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.