These directions are for an old-fashioned electric stovetop. The kind with the coils. You may need to adjust or use a different recipe if you are using a gas store or bulb electric stove.
* Get out the broth and have it ready to pour into the pan. If that means opening the can or package, shaking it up, thawing previously frozen chicken broth, do it. With this process, you have seconds between when the roux is ready and when the roux is burnt. Have the broth ready to pour before you ever turn on the heat
* I also recommend making the spice blend in advance, but this is not critical
* In a 3-quart sauce pan, melt the butter on medium heat
* Once butter is fully melted, add flour and stir in
* Increase heat to around 9 / 10. Not the highest setting on the stove, but close to it. Stir
* Continue stirring until the butter and flour mix until browned. This takes what seems like an eternity but should take less than 10 minutes. No, you cannot walk away from the stove. No, you should not stop stirring. Yes, your arm may get tired
* Continue stirring until the butter and flour roux is about the color of burnt sienna (the paint color). Darker than tan. But lighter than espresso. When it is almost ready, it should smell of nutmeg. When it is prefect, it should smell like toasted nutmeg. If it starts to smell burnt, you may only have a few seconds to add the broth
* Add the broth and stir until mixed, about another 30 seconds. If you want slightly thicker gravy, you can reserve the last 10-20% but I recommend just adding it all.
* Add the spices. Stir
* Allow the gravy to boil for just a second. Reduce the heat
* If serving immediately remove from heat for about 3-5 minutes and stir occasionally. If not, reduce heat to around 2 / 10 and cover until time to serve, stirring at least a couple times per hour.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (138g)|
|Recipe Makes: 8 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 258 (67%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 28.6g||38 %|
|Saturated Fat 12.2g||61 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 10.1g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 4.1g|
|Cholesterol 115.6mg||36 %|
|Sodium 306.8mg||11 %|
|Potassium 225.2mg||6 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 9.7g||3 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0.1g||0 %|
|Sugars, other 9.6g|
|Protein 21.3g||30 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 383
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.