At the Argentinean-inspired modern steakhouse Lolinda in San Francisco’s Mission district, chef Alejandro Morgan braises beef short ribs until tender, and then turns the wine-spiked braising liquid into an intensely flavorful sauce. Served over roasted potatoes or creamy polenta, these sauced short ribs are Malbec’s ideal partner on the plate.
Read more: http://www.purewow.com/entry_detail/recipe/4686/A-meaty-main-course-to-pair-with-your-favorite-Malbec.htm#ixzz2PuDUntwp
1. Preheat the oven to 350°. Season the short ribs with salt and pepper. In a large ovenproof pot or Dutch oven set over medium-high heat, warm the canola oil. Cook the short ribs, working in batches, until brown on all sides, about 10 minutes. Transfer the short ribs to a plate and set aside.
2. Reduce the heat to medium. Add the onion, carrots, celery and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 5 minutes. Add the red wine to the pot and cook for 1 minute. Add the beef stock (or water), tomatoes, sugar, bay leaves and saffron and bring the mixture to a boil.
3. Season the mixture with salt and pepper. Return the short ribs to the pot, submerging them completely. Cover and cook in the oven until the short ribs are fork-tender, about 3 hours.
4. Remove the pot from the oven and skim the oily top layer from the liquid. Remove and discard the bay leaves. Transfer the short ribs to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm. Cook the sauce over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until thickened and reduced by about a third.
5. Remove the foil from the short ribs and divide among four to six plates. Pour the sauce over the top and serve immediately with desired accompaniments.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (1069g)|
|Recipe Makes: 4 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 707 (58%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 78.6g||105 %|
|Saturated Fat 31.2g||156 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 33.5g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 3.6g|
|Cholesterol 303.5mg||93 %|
|Sodium 1626.8mg||56 %|
|Potassium 2156.9mg||57 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 28.8g||8 %|
|Dietary Fiber 6.6g||27 %|
|Sugars, other 22.2g|
|Protein 86.8g||124 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 1215
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.