Salmon Monett is fresh atlantic salmon with lemon, ginger, jasmine rice and toasted sesame seeds, wrapped in nori and steamed. It is served with picked ginger and japanese dippingsauce. This unique dish, a version of cooked sushi for the Western world, was presented to Richard Monette, artistic director of the Stratford Festival, for his 50th birthday celebration.
1. In saucepan over low heat, combine sugar, rice vinegar and salt; cook until sugar and salt are dissolved. Cool quickly by setting pan in cold water.
2. Combine rice and water in metal or glass bowl small enough to fit in large saucepan with lid. Pour in enough water to come halfway up side of bowl; bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and cover. Simmer until water is abosorbed and rice is cooked but still chewy and sticky. Let cool for 15 minutes.
3. Transfer rice to large bowl. gently stir in just nough of the sugar mixture to make rice stick together. Stir in the sesame oil, sesame seeds and lemon rind.
4. Brush each sheet of nori lightly with soy sauce. Smear small amount of wasabi in centre. Turn nori so that 1 corner is facing you. Spoon some of the rice horizontally aross centre, leaing 1 1/2 to 2 inch border at each end.(Rice should be about 1/2 inch deep.) Place salmon fillet on top of rice. Tuck rice under salmon to make sausage shape. Fold in side corners of nori. (You will be folding over the ends of the salmon fillet.) Fold corner closest to you over salmon towards top corner. Roll up firmly. Wrap in plastic wrap.
5. Place salmon rolls in plastic wrap on chinese or conventional steamer; steam gently for 15 - 20 minutes or until salmon feels firm but still a little rare. Remove rolls and unwrap. Slicing on bias, trim into 3 pieces.
**** Dipping Sauce ****
In saucepan, combine sugar, sherry, soy sauce, stock, vinegar and oil; bring to boil. Dissolve cornstarch in 2 tsp water and stir into pan. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
Chef's tip: Chef Russell serves this with stir-fried vegetables in the centre, with the salmon arranged around the vegetables like spokes of a wheel, sauteed shitake mushrooms in between and the dipping sauce ladled over the mushrooms.
Wine suggestion - 2000 Harbour Estate Riesling
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (260g)|
|Recipe Makes: 6|
|Calories from Fat: 225 (40%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 25g||33 %|
|Saturated Fat 5.2g||26 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 7.7g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 8g|
|Cholesterol 77.3mg||24 %|
|Sodium 188.3mg||6 %|
|Potassium 669.7mg||18 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 47.2g||14 %|
|Dietary Fiber 2.5g||10 %|
|Sugars, other 44.7g|
|Protein 33g||47 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 557
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.