1) Line the undersides of three rectangular baking pans, measuring 8" x12", with aluminum foil, dull side up. Set aside.
2) To prepare the meringue, beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar until frothy. Gradually add the sugar and continue to beat at medium speed until the meringue is stiff but not dry.
3) Using a rubber scraper, fold in flour and cashews.
4) Spread the mixture thinly and equally among the prepared baking pans. Spread as evenly as possible from end to end using an offset metal spatula.
5) Bake in preheated oven (300 degrees F) for 45 minutes to an hour or until golden brown.
6) Allow to cool completely in the oven but leave the oven door slightly ajar.
7) While the meringue layers are in the oven, prepare the filling. Combine the water, sugar and cream of tartar in a thick saucepan (or Pyrex) and mix well.
8) Cook until the syrup spins a thread. Use a candy thermometer, if desired.
9) While the sugar is boiling, beat the egg yolks using an electric mixer at medium speed until the egg yolks turn thick and lemon-colored. Add the syrup in thin streams to the beaten egg yolks while beating the mixture at high speed. Chill.
10) In a large mixing bowl and using an electric stand mixer with flat beater or paddle, cream the butter until light and fluffy.
11) Gradually add the cold egg yolk mixture to the butter while beating at medium speed. Wait for the butter to absorb the egg yolk mixture before adding the next spoonful or so.
12) Beat in the rum. Set aside.
13) To assemble, place a layer of meringue on a serving plate.
14) To remove the foil, loosen and slide wafers to a flat surface.
15) Cover the surface of the first layer with an adequate amount of buttercream.
16) Sprinkle with chopped cashews. Repeat the procedure with the remaining meringue.
17) Use the remaining buttercream to completely cover the top and sides of the assembled meringue torte.
18) Run a cake comb across the top and garnish with more nuts. Freeze to allow the buttercream to firm up. Keep frozen until serving time.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (191g)|
|Recipe Makes: 12|
|Calories from Fat: 401 (60%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 44.6g||59 %|
|Saturated Fat 22.7g||113 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 15.6g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 3.5g|
|Cholesterol 221.3mg||68 %|
|Sodium 262.8mg||9 %|
|Potassium 333.5mg||9 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 60.1g||18 %|
|Dietary Fiber 1.2g||5 %|
|Sugars, other 58.9g|
|Protein 9.8g||14 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 669
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.