1. Chop or grate cabbage, finely or coarsely. Place cabbage in a large strainer as you chop it then rinse with cold water and dry and transfer to large bowl.
2. Sprinkle salt and caraway on the cabbage as you go. Mix together and pound with hammer for about 5 minutes to release juices.
3. Spoon into your mason jar while intermittently pressing the cabbage down firmly with the hammer until the juices come to the top. The cabbage should come 1 inch below the top of the jar.
4. Squeeze some fresh lemon juice on the top.
5.. Place the lid firmly on the mason jar and let sit at room temperature for about 3 days.
6.. Transfer to refrigerator (where it will keep for months and continue to ferment) and enjoy plain, on sandwiches, or any way you like.
* 1 medium cabbage cored and shredded (any color)
* 1 tb sea salt
* 1 tb caraway seeds (optional)
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (57g)|
|Recipe Makes: 16 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 1 (7%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 0.1g||0 %|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0g|
|Cholesterol 0mg||0 %|
|Sodium 10.2mg||0 %|
|Potassium 97.8mg||3 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 3.3g||1 %|
|Dietary Fiber 1.5g||6 %|
|Sugars, other 1.9g|
|Protein 0.7g||1 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 15
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.