1. This recipe is best staggered over several days. Day ONE: Make your kosher mayo!
2. First step, pasteurize egg/s! Needed: 1 large egg, 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, 1 tsp salt.
3. First, wash outside of egg/s briefly with dish soap and warm water. Then crack and separate yolk from white. Then, in a glass measuring cup or facsimile, add yolk only. With FIRST clean fork, whisk up the yolk. Then add 1 tblsp lemon juice, stir again with same fork. Cover measuring cup with plastic wrap. Put in microwave for 4-5 secs on high, remove. Stir with SECOND clean fork, cover with new piece of plastic wrap, return to microwave for another 4-5 secs on high, remove and stir with THIRD clean fork. Have a couple extra eggs on hand if this does not go well and you make scrambled eggs. Should work with most microwaves however.
4. Now that your yolk is pasteurized, add it, and 1 tsp kosher salt and 1 tblsp white distilled vinegar to a medium bowl.
5. Then to bowl, very slowly drizzle the canola oil while whisking constantly. Don't add more oil until you have created a stable-looking emulsion. Slowly, slowly add the rest of the oil whisking very constantly. This could take as much as ten minutes. Refrigerate the mayo tightly covered until needed. It will not have same density or appearance of store-bought mayo but will serve it's function quite well when the time comes.
6. Day TWO: Marinate the salmon! To a gallon freezer ziploc bag, add the 3/4 cup EVOO, 4 minced garlic cloves, juice of 1 lemon, 1 heaping tblsp of cracked pepper, 1 tsp dried oregano, 1/4 cup fresh thyme leaves, 1 tsp kosher salt. Then refrigerate marinade for at least a couple of hours.
7. Then add the 2 pounds fresh salmon filets to the ziploc bag, shake and combine thoroughly with the marinade. Refrigerate ideally for about 16 hours. (overnight!)
8. Day THREE: Cook the salmon, make the pancakes, assemble the Schmear!
9. Remove salmon filets from ziploc bag, place on aluminum foil on broiling pan, then cover again with aluminum foil. Preheat oven to 300F and bake for 40 minutes. Then remove top layer of aluminum foil and broil filets for 7 minutes. Remove from oven, refrigerate for a few hours covered on a plate.
10. Prepare 3 ounce bag of vegetable potato pancakes (Kosher for Passover). Follow instructions on packaging. Make them small, and be sure to cook all the way through (without scorching). Do this a few hours in advance of rest of recipe combination so pancakes have time to dry at room temperature. No need to refrigerate.
11. Now shred, chop, process all ingredients required for assembling the schmear.
12. In large bowl, start combining ingredients: fine-processed pancakes, horseradish, turmeric, 1 tblsp cracked black pepper, fine processed salmon, carrots, sweet onion, juice of 1 lemon, 3/4 cup Kosher! Mayo, white ends of scallions. Then make sure to add 3 tblsps of EVOO to lubricate the final combo.
13. Chill in fridge, overnight is a must.
7. Day FOUR: go to the Seder! Line a medium-sized crystal or nice presentation bowl with big leafy lettuce, then add Seder Salmon Schmear Supreme. Garnish with chopped green scallion tops. Surround with Passover crackers. Summon all guests and tuck into the schmear. L'chaim!
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (61g)|
|Recipe Makes: 40 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 54 (67%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 6.1g||8 %|
|Saturated Fat 0.9g||4 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 4g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.9g|
|Cholesterol 11.8mg||4 %|
|Sodium 79.4mg||3 %|
|Potassium 121.7mg||3 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 2.2g||1 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0.5g||2 %|
|Sugars, other 1.6g|
|Protein 4.8g||7 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 81
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!