1. Combine the yeast, warm water and 1/2 tsp sugar in a small bowl or liquid measuring cup. Set aside until slightly foamy, 5 - 10 min.
2. Mix the flour, salt and 2 tbs sugar in a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook on medium speed. Add 2 whole eggs, the egg yolk, honey, vegetable oil and yeast mixture. Mix on low speed until a shaggy dough forms. Increase the speed to medium high and knead the dough until soft and smooth but slightly sticky, about 5 min (if the dough is too sticky, add 2 more tbs flour while kneading). Lightly coat a large bowl with vegetable oil. Put the dough in the bowl, gently turning to coat. Loosely cover with plastic wrap and set aside until nearly doubled in size, 1 - 2 hours.
3. Transfer the dough to a clean surface and cut into quarters. Lightly dust the surface with flour, then roll each piece of dough into a 12" long log, about 1 1/2" in diameter and slightly tapered at the ends. Place the 4 logs side by side a few inches apart. Gather them together at the end farthest from you, pinching the ends together.
4. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. To braid the dough, lift the log on the far right over the 2 middle logs. Then take the log on the far left and lift it over the 2 middle logs. Then cross the 2 middle logs over each other. Starting form the right, repeat the process until you reach the other end. Do not braid too tightly; you want the dough to maintain an even shape. Pinch the very ends of the loaf together and tuck underneath. Rock the loaf back and forth a few times to help tighten the braid. Carefully transfer the loaf to the baking sheet. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and set aside until slightly puffed, 1 - 1 1/2 hours.
5. Position a rack in the middle of the oven; preheat to 375 degrees. Beat the remaining egg and 1/2 tsp sugar with a whisk and brush it all over the dough (you will not need all of it). Sprinkle with the seeds. Bake until the bread is dark golden brown all over, 25 - 30 min. Transfer to a rack to cool completely
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (1132g)|
|Recipe Makes: 1 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 493 (14%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 54.8g||73 %|
|Saturated Fat 5.1g||25 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 27g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 17.6g|
|Cholesterol 0mg||0 %|
|Sodium 9118.2mg||314 %|
|Potassium 864mg||23 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 644.2g||189 %|
|Dietary Fiber 20.2g||81 %|
|Sugars, other 624g|
|Protein 100.8g||144 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 3523
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!