While many ingredients in a Louisiana jambalaya are subject to variation, rice is essential. This one-pot dish features tender, boneless short ribs, which imbue the rice with a rich, meaty flavor. The finished jambalaya should be moist but not soupy. Have hot sauce available for those who prefer it spicy.
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Cut ribs into 2-inch pieces. In small bowl, stir together Creole seasoning and pepper; sprinkle over ribs.
2. Heat oil in heavy large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat until hot. Add ribs in batches; cook 3 to 4 minutes or until browned, turning once. Place on plate.
3. Reduce heat to medium. Add onion, bell pepper, celery and garlic; cook 8 to 10 minutes or until softened, stirring occasionally. Return ribs and any accumulated juices to pot; add tomatoes, 2 cups of the broth, bay leaves and thyme. Increase heat to medium-high; bring to a boil.
4. Cover pot; place in oven. Bake 1 1/2 hours or until meat is tender, stirring halfway through.
5. Remove from oven; return pot to stovetop. Uncover and stir in remaining 2 cups broth; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir in rice, green onions and parsley; cover and return to oven. Bake 30 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Let stand, covered, 5 minutes.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (368g)|
|Recipe Makes: 8|
|Calories from Fat: 294 (61%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 32.7g||44 %|
|Saturated Fat 9.7g||49 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 16.1g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 3.9g|
|Cholesterol 79.4mg||24 %|
|Sodium 457.8mg||16 %|
|Potassium 576.5mg||15 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 20.3g||6 %|
|Dietary Fiber 1.6g||6 %|
|Sugars, other 18.7g|
|Protein 25.7g||37 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 482
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.