It's Fall and you know what THAT means! That's right, it's pumpkin time, so why not celebrate with this set-it and forget-it slow cooker chili loaded with sweet potatoes, pumpkin, and all the flavors of the season.
Source: Big Oven Original
1. Heat olive oil in a large skillet set over medium-high heat on the stovetop. Add ground turkey and cook through until no pink remains. Transfer turkey to a slow cooker.
2. Add the remaining ingredients —onion, bell peppers, garlic, sweet potatoes, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt, pepper, bay leaves, black beans, kidney beans, diced tomatoes, pumpkin puree, tomato paste, and chicken broth —to the slower cooker. Stir to combine. Cook, covered, on low for 4 to 6 hours.
3. Serve with desired toppings, such as sour cream or cheese.
To prepare the chili with fresh pumpkin:
1. Omit the pumpkin puree and sweet potatoes.
2. Before assembling the chili, prepare the pumpkin:
a.Slice a 2 or 3 pound sugar pumpkin or pie pumpkin in half. Scoop out the seeds, then slice each half into wedges. Carefully trim the peel away from the flesh, then chop each wedge into 1-inch pieces. Note: To make the pumpkin easier to cut and peel, you can microwave it for 2 to 4 minutes beforehand.
3. Add the cubed pumpkin to the chili along with all of the other ingredients in step #2 of the recipe instructions.
To make the chili vegetarian:
1. Replace the ground turkey with a third can of beans or 1 cup of lentils.
2. Substitute an equivalent amount of vegetable broth for the chicken broth.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (380g)|
|Recipe Makes: 8 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 248 (45%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 27.5g||37 %|
|Saturated Fat 7.9g||39 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 10.9g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 6.1g|
|Cholesterol 188.7mg||58 %|
|Sodium 234.4mg||8 %|
|Potassium 976.9mg||26 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 16.9g||5 %|
|Dietary Fiber 3.3g||13 %|
|Sugars, other 13.7g|
|Protein 55.1g||79 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 546
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!
What would you serve with this? Link in another recipe.