1. Combine apple juice, brown sugar and salt in a large sauce pan. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring to dissolve. Boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat and let mixture come to room temperature then refrigerate to 40 degrees.
2. In a large non-reactive container, combine the apple juice mixture with the remaining ingredients. When adding the oranges, squeeze each piece to release the juice into the container then drop in the peel.
3. Brine the Turkey...Put the Turkey in the brine and keep submerged and under 40 degrees for 24 hours.
4. Air dry the Turkey... Remove the Turkey from the brine and rinse inside and out. Pat dry with paper towels and place on rack over a rimmed baking sheet. Place in refrigerator and let air-dry overnight (8 to 12 hours).
5. Tie the bird and let sit while firing the smoker.
6. Fire the WSM... Using the standard method, light 2 chimneys full of charcoal. Foil the pan with no water. 3 chunks of wood will be used for flavoring.
7. Apply very thin coat of unsalted butter (unsalted) to the Turkey.
8. Smoke the Turkey maintaining a chamber temperature of 325 to 350 degrees. Cook the Turkey until the temperature reaches 160-165 degrees n the breast.
9. Remove the Turkey and let rest for 20-30 minutes before carving. Do not cover the turkey while it is resting.
Option: Wrap Turkey tightly with foil for 90 to 120 minutes before carving.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (4343g)|
|Recipe Makes: 1 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 3715 (54%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 412.8g||550 %|
|Saturated Fat 243.8g||1219 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 105.3g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 28.2g|
|Cholesterol 1278mg||393 %|
|Sodium 56541.2mg||1950 %|
|Potassium 5090.8mg||134 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 761.4g||224 %|
|Dietary Fiber 42g||168 %|
|Sugars, other 719.4g|
|Protein 89.2g||127 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 6854
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.