imchi kognamul guk is a variation of kongnamul guk which is made with kongnamul (soybean sprouts), a staple Korean vegetable. Kongnamul is high in B vitamins, vitamin C and protein. This explains why kongnamul guk is a popular home remedy for common colds and hangovers in Korea. The addition of kimchi takes the soup to another level with a spicy kick that’s good enough to clear your sinuses. When my kids were growing up, I made this soup for them when they had a cold, just like my mother did when I was growing up. It’s best with an anchovy stock base, but you can use beef broth or simply water. You should use fully fermented kimchi for this soup. The older the kimchi is, the better. Serve it separately, or over the rice to make guk bap (국밥), a soup with rice in it.
1. Make Anchovy stock.
2. Rinse the soybean sprouts a couple of times, discarding any skins that are floating.
3. Slice the kimchi into about 1/2 inch thick strips.
4. Add the sliced kimchi, kimchi juice, pepper flakes and soy sauce to the anchovy stock. Bring to a boil.
5. Cook over medium high heat until the kimchi turns translucent, about 5 minutes.
6. Add the bean sprouts and garlic. Cook, covered, for 3-4 minutes. Do not open the lid while the bean sprouts are being cooked, or the raw bean smell will linger after cooked.
7. Once the bean sprouts are cooked, taste for salt and pepper.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (173g)|
|Recipe Makes: 4 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 44 (44%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 4.8g||6 %|
|Saturated Fat 0.7g||3 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 1.1g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 2.7g|
|Cholesterol 0mg||0 %|
|Sodium 13mg||0 %|
|Potassium 556.7mg||15 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 9.2g||3 %|
|Dietary Fiber 1.5g||6 %|
|Sugars, other 7.7g|
|Protein 10.4g||15 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 99
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!