1. Brown the hamburger and sausage together in a large stew pot or dutch oven. Continue to brown while breaking up the meat into small, granular pieces.
2. Remove meat from pan and set aside
3. Add olive oil to pan and sauté onions, celery, bell pepper, and garlic over medium high heat.
4. When the onions start to soften, add browned hamburger and sausage back to pan.
5. Mix in the diced tomatoes.
6. Mix in the tomato paste along with 2 tomato paste containers of water (i.e., about 24 oz of water, but use the water to rinse out the tomato paste container).
7. Mix in 1 of the small bottles of red wine
8. Mix in as many herbs as desired. Usually, there ends up being around 1/2 cup or more of chopped herbs. Also add freshly ground black pepper to taste.
9. Bring to a boil. Turn down the heat and let simmer for 5 to 7 hours, stirring every hour or so and scraping the bottom of the pot to remove any stuck on bits.
10. After simmering for at least 3 hours, pour in the remaining bottle of red wine.
11. Periodically, check the sauce to see if more liquid needs to be added. If so, add either more water or red wine depending upon your preference. In either case, continue to simmer after adding additional liquid for at least another hour.
12. Sauce may be used after simmering for 5 to 7 hours or it may be refrigerated and used later.
13. Just prior to using for the first time, heat the sauce up to serving temperature. Remove from heat and stir in a goodly amount of grated Parmesan cheese. The exact amount of cheese is up to your choice. It helps to add some and then taste the sauce. Continue adding and tasting until you get the flavor that you want.
14. Taste for seasoning and add salt as necessary.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (147g)|
|Recipe Makes: 10 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 196 (69%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 21.8g||29 %|
|Saturated Fat 7.9g||40 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 9.8g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 2.1g|
|Cholesterol 75.3mg||23 %|
|Sodium 371.9mg||13 %|
|Potassium 335.6mg||9 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 3g||1 %|
|Dietary Fiber 1.1g||4 %|
|Sugars, other 1.9g|
|Protein 18.6g||27 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 286
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!