1. Heat the 8 tablespoons olive oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Gradually add the milk and the chicken broth, stirring without stopping. This can take up to 30 minutes.
Next, add the nutmeg, salt, and pepper to taste. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until the sauce is thickened and smooth.
2. Add the minced ham and continue to cook for about 2 to 3 minutes on low heat, continuing to stir. Remove from heat. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
3. Allow to cool for 5 to 10 minutes and refrigerate at least 3 hours until mixture is cold. If you are preparing a day or so ahead, you can cover the mixture tightly and keep refrigerated until you are ready to fry the croquettes.
4. Pour the breadcrumbs into a small, wide bowl. Beat the eggs with water in a small, wide bowl. Cover your hands in flour, then divide the mixture into 1-inch balls and set on a plate, so that they are not touching.
5. Pour enough olive oil in a medium to large frying pan to cover 1/2 inch deep. Heat the olive oil for frying to about 355 F degrees.
Dip the croquettes in the beaten egg and coat with crumbs by rolling in the bowl.
6. Place the croquettes in the hot oil and fry quickly, turning several times, until golden.
Remove the croquettes with a slotted spoon and set on a paper towel to absorb the excess oil.
7. Serve immediately. If croquettes will not be served immediately, place in a warm oven (200 F degrees) for up to 30 minutes.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (256g)|
|Recipe Makes: 6 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 430 (68%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 47.7g||64 %|
|Saturated Fat 9.1g||45 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 30.4g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 5.5g|
|Cholesterol 359.7mg||111 %|
|Sodium 330.4mg||11 %|
|Potassium 276.3mg||7 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 36.6g||11 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0.9g||3 %|
|Sugars, other 35.7g|
|Protein 15.8g||23 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 632
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!